Andrew Rogers on the short and chequered history of the Nine Elms Cold Store.
It may not be easy to see spacecraft from Vauxhall, but many’s the astronaut that’s been spotted on the South Lambeth Road having a last drag on a cigarette before entering the British Interplanetary Society HQ at Numbers 27–29 on the corner with Langley Lane. Indeed, writes space historian and Fellow of the Society Dr […]
Information from Richard Greatorex, contributed the wonderful archive postcards: I found a reference to Barrett’s here: breweryhistory.com/journal/archive/123/Architecture.pdf in which the Barrett brewery is described thus: “The visual image of the ‘beer factory’ had become increasingly important, with the brewery’s image being used on bottle labels and in advertisements. Barrett’s Vauxhall Brewery (1885) was an extreme […]
The Tate South Lambeth Library, the gift of a Victorian well-wisher, and now a vibrant cultural centre with deep roots in today’s Vauxhall, is the target of repeated threats from Lambeth Councillors
Malcolm Green was there in the 60s and 70s when the Council demolished more streets of Victorian terraced houses than the Luftwaffe – all to make way for soulless, isolating high-rise flats, desolate and dangerous open spaces resulting in widespread social breakdown.
Belgrave Hospital for Children was founded in 1866. The attractive red-brick Arts & Crafts-style building at 1 Clapham Road was constructed in phases between 1899 and 1926 to a design by Henry Percy Adams and Charles Holden. The hospital used an innovative quasi-cruciform plan, with separate ward wings linked by connecting corridors and bridges, thus […]
William Walter Begley (1893-1980), Architect, Historian and Ecclesiologist, was the inaugural Chairman (and later President) of The Vauxhall Society. Begley worked in the GLC Architects’ Department from 1912 to 1954, and headed the Historic Buildings Department of the former London County Council. He was also an active member of the London Survey Committee, which supervised […]
The following article is taken from ‘Battersea Power Station – 50 Years of Service – A Short History’ published by CEGB Public Relations Branch in 1983 For fifty years, Battersea Power Station has been a landmark known to Londoners, commuters and visitors from all over the world. As the time of its closure as a […]
Lambeth Palace is the Archbishop of Canterbury’s official residence. The Convent of St Andrew of Rochester sold part of the Manor to Archbishop Haldwin of Canterbury in 1190. Archbishop Hubert Walter bought the rest of the Manor in 1197 and built a house by the river roughly opposite the Palace of Westminster. This house was […]