Roger Johnson, editor of The Sherlock Holmes Journal, on the spoor of the sleuth and his ever-faithful Watson in these parts
The following is based on an articles by Peggy Sheath published in The Vauxhall Society’s Newsletter during 1980. A street market was in existence in Lambeth Walk by the 1860s. In a report by the London County Council dated 6 December 1901, from a survey made that year, it is stated: “It is noticeable that […]
Lambeth Walk was the site of two wells, the road to which slowly became lined with houses of one sort or another. By the 1840s ‘The Walk’ had a well-established market and by 1861 it was thriving with 164 costermongers’ stalls. Related links Windmills in Lambeth Lambeth Walk street market Industries in Lambeth Walk Lambeth […]
The Marine Society, 202 Lambeth Road The following article appeared in The Vauxhall Society’s Newsletter of May 1980. A major contribution to the refurbishing of properties in Lambeth Road has been made in recent time by the Marine Society. In December 1979, HM the Queen officially opened its new headquarters in the former Archbishop William […]
People are sometimes puzzled by the name of Lambeth High Street, which runs southwards from St. Mary’s church, Lambeth to join Black Prince Road. It seems so unlike the typical high street scene, and yet a hundred years ago this is exactly what it was. It was especially a place for traders connected with the […]
The following is based on an articles by Peggy Sheath published in The Vauxhall Society’s Newsletter during 1980. The opening of Westminster Bridge in 1750, had led to considerable expansion and development in Lambeth, and a new road was laid down from the bridge, which eventually linked with Brighton. Some fine houses were built in […]
Artist and poet William Blake and his wife lived in a large house which was on the site of present day No.23 Hercules Road (Penlington Place). A visitor once came upon them sitting naked in the summerhouse where they were reciting passages from Paradise Lost. ‘Come in,’ Blake called out. ‘It’s only Adam and Eve, […]
Church Street, Lambeth is now part of Lambeth Bridge Road.