This year the architects and town-planners Rolfe Judd celebrate the 50th anniversary of the practice, and have marked the event by illuminating the façade of Old Church Court, their premises in Claylands Road. Who was the architect of this former Congregational chapel isn’t clear, but according to the edited extract of the Rolfe Judd article […]
Curiosity Corner: The first in our occasional series of notes on the odd and the by-the-way in a bustling and historic part of London. An Employee Accident Book dating back half a century has come to light in a corner of a former builder’s yard in Oval.
Roger Johnson, editor of The Sherlock Holmes Journal, on the spoor of the sleuth and his ever-faithful Watson in these parts
The Vauxhall branch of the Richardson family brick-making firm made a notable contribution to the foundations of what is now the Kia Oval cricket ground.
The dramatic rescue of Vauxhall’s Gilbert Bayes Frieze from the demolition of Doulton House…as it happens The Vauxhall Society is grateful to Paul Atterbury for permission to publish his account of the the rescue and subsequent restoration of the Gilbert Bayes ceramic frieze ‘Pottery Through the Ages’ as well as his contemporaneous notes on the […]
In the 1700s most of Vauxhall was marshland. People had to cross this land to get to church at St. Mary’s next to Lambeth Palace. This was a most dangerous route as there were robbers hiding in the marshes waiting to attack anyone crossing them. Naturally this made the people reluctant to cross the marshland […]
By Sarah Bridger A terracotta statue of Henry Fawcett, which was unveiled on Wednesday 7th June 1893 by the Archbishop of Canterbury in Vauxhall Park, mysteriously vanished in late 1959. It was designed by the celebrated Victorian sculptor George Tinworth, and donated by Sir Henry Doulton. The statue has not had a confirmed sighting since […]
Planned changes to constituency boundaries bring into focus the perennial need to define the interfaces between blocks of land at every level – be it the garden fence or the Iron Curtain. In the distant past, with much lower populations and pressure on resources, boundaries were often ill-defined zones, rather than fixed lines, and in […]
Native flora recorded for South Lambeth Information from The Natural History Museum – Postcode Plants Database Plant distribution data are derived from the Atlas of the British Flora, 3rd Edition (published by the Botanical Society of the British Isles, 1982). The dataset currently contains 1,353 species (about 90 percent of Britain’s native flora). Please note: […]
Oval Cricket Ground is the headquarters of the Surrey County Cricket Club (SCCC) and is on land leased from the Duchy of Cornwall that was originally a cabbage patch and market garden. The Montpelier Cricket Club of Walworth was granted a lease on the site in 1845 initially for 31 years at £120 per annum. […]
The Northern Line was formed out of the City and South London Railway (C&SLR) and the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR). The City and South London Railway (C&SLR) was the first deep level tube railway in London as well as the capital’s first electric railway. It ran from Stockwell to the City of […]
Bernard Law Montgomery (“Monty”) was born in the Oval House (52-54 Kennington Oval) on 17 November 1887, the son of the Reverend Henry Hutchinson Montgomery, vicar of St Mark’s, Kennington, and his wife Maud Farrar. Bernard was educated at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst after which he joined the Army in 1908 and served as […]
Love it or hate it… The now rather unprepossessing Westminster Business Square on the corner of Kennington Lane and Durham Street used to be a Marmite factory. The Marmite Food Extract Company was formed in 1902 and was based at Burton upon Trent where it had ready access to its main ingredient – a by-product […]
St Mark’s Church was the second of the four Commissioners’ or “Waterloo” churches built in Lambeth by the Commissioners for Building New Churches. The others being St Matthew’s (Brixton), St Luke’s (Norwood) and St John’s (Waterloo). Due to financial constraints (in total only £64,000 was allocated for all four churches) the Duchy of Cornwall was […]